|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|Rudolf Maister Day||Slovenia||Observance|
|Fibonacci Day||-||Unofficial (Education & Reading, Products & Technology )|
|Labor Thanksgiving Day||Japan||National Holiday|
|National Cashew Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|National Eat a Cranberry Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|National Espresso Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|National Adoption Day||-||Unofficial (Relationships & Family)|
|St. George's Day||Georgia||Public Holiday|
|Aura Awareness Day||-||Unofficial (Awareness & Cause)|
Historical Events on November 23
- 1910: The last person to ever be executed in Sweden – Johan Alfred Ander – is put to death on this day.
- 1914: During the Mexican Revolution, the last of United States’ forces withdraw from Veracruz.
- 1936: Life Magazine is envisioned as a photographic magazine. It becomes an almost instant success.
- 1939: The German battleships Gneisenau and Scharnhorst attack and sink the British merchant cruise the HMS Rawalpindi.
- 1940: Romania officially joins the Axis Powers during World War II.
- 1943: After heavy initial resistance from Japanese forces, American troops eventually seize the Tarawa and Makin atolls.
- 1946: Thousands of people in Hai Phong, Vietname are killed when the French navy bombards the city.
- 1963: The first broadcast of Doctor Who is run on this day. Doctor Who will eventually become the longest running science fiction drama in the history of the world.
- 1978: In eastern Sri Lanka, a cyclone kills over a thousand people.
- 1980: Approximately four thousand people are killed and eight thousand people are wounded when a 6.9 Mw earthquake hits southern Italy.
- 1992: The first smartphone is debuted at COMDEX in Las Vegas, Nevada on this day. It’s called the IBM Simon.
- 1993: For her sculpture “House”, sculptor Rachel Whiteread wins both the Turner Prize for the best British modern artist, as well as the K Foundation Art Award for the worst artist of the year.
Famous Birthdays on November 23
- American general, lawyer and 14th President of the United States, Franklin Pierce is born in 1804.
- English mathematician and author Isaac Todhunter is born in 1820.
- Dutch physicist and Nobel Prize laureate, Johannes Diderik van der Waals is born in 1837.
- American actor Harpo Marx is born in 1888.
- German chess player Karsten Müller is born in 1970.
- American actress and comedian Lisa Arch is born in 1971.
- Finnish hockey player Saku Koivu is born in 1974.
- American singer-songwriter Alison Mosshart is born in 1978.
- English model and actress Kelly Brook is born in 1979.