|National Swap Ideas Day
|National TV Dinner Day
|Stand Up To Cancer Day
Historical Events on September 10
- 1608: In the colony of Jamestown, Virginia, John Smith is put into office as council president.
- 1776: During the American Revolutionary War, Nathan Hale agrees to spy in service of the Continental Army.
- 1813: During the War of 1812, the British fleet is defeated at the Battle of Lake Erie by the U.S.
- 1846: The patent for the sewing machine is awarded to Elias Howe.
- 1858: The asteroid 55 Pandora is discovered by George Mary Searle.
- 1897: During what would later be dubbed the Lattimer Massacre, 19 unarmed immigrant miners who were on strike in Lattimer, Pennsylvania were killed by a sheriff’s posse.
- 1919: The Allies and Austria sign the Treaty of Saint-Germain-en-Laye; This treaty recognized the independence of Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Poland and Yugoslavia.
- 1939: Canada declares war on Germany. This puts them on the side of the Allies – which at the time included Poland, France, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand.
- 1942: An amphibious landing is undertaken on Madagascar by British forces.
- 2001: The mayor of Campinas, Brazil – Antonio da Costa Santos – is assassinated on this date.
- 2002: Switzerland joins the U.N.
- 2008: The largest super collider in the world – the Large Hadron Collider at CERN – is fired up for the first time in Geneva, Switzerland.
Famous Birthdays on September 10
- American actor Robert Wise is born in 1914.
- American actor Edmond O’Brien is born in 1915.
- American singer-songwriter Roy Brown is born in 1925.
- American golfer Arnold Palmer is born in 1929.
- American poet Mary Oliver is born in 1935.
- American biologist, author and geographer Jared Diamon is born in 1937.
- American football player Buck Buchanan is born in 1940.
- American news talk show host and author Bill O’Reilly is born in 1949.
- American songwriter and guitarist Joe Perry is born in 1950.
- American golfer Bill Rogers is born in 1951.
- American journalist Trace Gallagher is born in 1961.
- American drummer and songwriter Bill Stevenson is born in 1963.
- American rapper, actor and producer Big Daddy Kane is born in 1968.
- English director, screenwriter and producer Guy Ritchie is born in 1968.
- American singer-songwriter Paula Kelley is born in 1970.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in