|Date||Name Location / Topic|
Armed Forces Day
The Feast of St Marinus and Republic Day
National Welsh Rarebit Day
Yamashita Surrender Day
Historical Events on September 3
- 1666: During the Great Fire of London, the Royal Exchange burns to the ground.
- 1777: At the Battle of Cooch’s Bridge during the American Revolutionary War, the stars and strips of the U.S flag is flown in battle for the very first time.
- 1783: The American Revolutionary War comes to an end when the U.S and Great Britain sign the Treaty of Paris.
- 1802: The sonnet “Composed upon Westminster Bridge” is composed by William Wordsworth on this day.
- 1814: During the Pigeon Roost Massacre, 24 settlers living at Pigeon Roost, Indiana are attacked by a war party of at least 12 Shawnee Indians and killed.
- 1838: Frederick Douglas escapes from slavery. He would go on to become one of the most famous abolitionists in American history.
- 1855: During the American Indian Wars, U.S General William S. Harney attacks a Sioux village in Nebraska with approximately 700 soldiers and kills over a hundred men, women and children. He did it to avenge the Grattan Massacre that occurred on August 19th, 1854.
- 1861: During the American Civil War, Kentucky asks the Union for assistance when Confederate General Leonidas Polk invades the state.
- 1939: After Poland is invaded by the Nazis, the U.K., France, Australia and New Zealand declare war on Germany – thereby forming the Allies.
- 1939: The Battle of the Atlantic begins; France and the U.K start a naval blockade of Germany. This effort will last until the end of World War II.
- 1976: The Viking 2 spacecraft lands on Mars at Utopia Planitia.
Famous Birthdays on September 3
- American actor Charlie Sheen is born in 1965.
- American author and painter Steven Johnson Leyba is born in 1966.
- American actor, screenwriter, director and producer Noah Baumback is born in 1969.
- American actress, screenwriter and producer Clare Kramer is born in 1974.
- Hong Kong actor and singer-songwriter Daniel Chan is born in 1975.
- American football player Jevon Kearse is born in 1976.