J.J Robert’s Birthday is a national holiday that’s observed in Liberia annually. Joseph Jenkins Roberts was born free in Norfolk, Virginia in the United States on March 15, 1809. In 1829, he would emigrate to the settlement that was created by the American Colonization Society (ACS). The ACS believed that black Americans would have a better chance of Freedom in Africa than they would have in the U.S.
On July 26, 1847, Liberia gained its independence from the U.S and Roberts would be elected as the first president for the Republic Of Liberia. He would serve until 1856, but was elected again as president in 1872. Two months after the end of his second term, on February 24, 1876, Roberts would die at the age of 66.
Interesting Facts About Liberia
Let’s step away from the analysis of this holiday for a moment, and take a few moments to turn our attention to Liberia. Liberia is an interesting country and one that we feel deserves a few cool facts being dropped in here on its behalf. Let’s take a look at these facts before moving on to how J.J Robert’s Birthday is observed.
- Liberia has a population of over 5+ million people and an area of 111, 369 square kilometers.
- The capital city of this country is Monrovia.
- English is the official language of this country, but there are also a variety of regional languages as well.
- From 1989 to 2003 a civil war killed over 250,000 people.
- From 2013 to 2016, there was an outbreak of the Ebola Virus in Liberia and a few other African countries.
- Liberia’s flag is modeled off of the flag of the U.S.
Observing J.J Roberts Birthday In Liberia
Liberia’s President issues a proclamation every year declaring March 15th as J.J Robert’s Birthday Day. This day is celebrated as a national holiday in Liberia and remembers everything that Roberts did for the country. Political speeches and other events are also observed on this holiday.
When is J. J. Roberts Birthday?
|This year (2022)||March 15 (Tuesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||March 15 (Wednesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||March 15 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|