Monarchy Day is a holiday that’s observed annually on May 10th in Romania and it commemorates the date in 1866 when the Prussian Prince Karl Eitel of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringenarrived in Bucharest as Prince of the United Principalities of Moldova and Wallachia and took his oath in front of the Parliament.
From that year until 1937, the 10th of May would be modern Romania’s National Day and has been a day that’s since then been associated with the Romanian Monarchy. When the country became a Kingdom in 1881, this date would be chosen to be the day symbolic of Coronation Day.
Interesting Facts About Romania
Anyone interested in the rich culture and history of Romania might want to read this section. That’s because we’ve found some interesting facts about this country that we’ve gathered together and assembled down below.
- Romania has seven Romanian landmarks that are declared as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- The Voronet Monastery has been called the Romanian Sistine Chapel.
- Romania has more than 60% of the brown bear population in Europe.
- The largest virgin forest in Europe can be found in the Carpathian mountains.
- Romania is ranked 13th in the world in terms of wine production.
- The 2003 movie “Cold Mountain” was filmed in Romania.
- The Romanian language is over 1,700 years old.
- The oldest oven in the world was discovered in Campeni, Romania. It was approximately 6,000 years old.
- As of 2020, Romania has produced 4 Nobel Laureates.
- The third-longest human-made navigation path is the Danube-Black Sea Canal.
- Bucharest has often been called “Little Paris.”
- Romania has the 15th most extensive rail network in the world.
- The Black Church of Brașov is the biggest Gothic church located between Vienna and Istanbul.
Observing Monarchy Day In Romania
Although communist rule forced the abdication of King Mihai 1st and ended the time of Romanian monarchs, the 10th of May is still observed every year. That’s because it’s a significant date for Romanian independence. As such, this day is celebrated with a marathon, exhibitions, military parades, and other events.
When is Monarchy Day?
|This year (2022)||May 10 (Tuesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||May 10 (Wednesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||May 10 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|