National Camping Month
National Camping Month takes place in June and encourages everyone to engage in an activity for thousands of years. Even though modern camping can only be traced back to the 19th century, people have been sleeping outdoors under the stars for hundreds of thousands of years.
Camping is an activity that can help people become closer to nature, learn more about their abilities and limitations, and can even help families bond together. That’s why we support everyone heading out to the great outdoors and camping by themselves or with friends and family members. There are tons of great camping sites all around the U.S, so everyone should take a moment to check them out this June.
The History Of National Camping Month
We have to admit that at this moment we’re unsure of who exactly created National Camping Month. Obviously, it’s someone who enjoyed camping or who made a living out of selling camping supplies.
What we do know is that this month was created during the 1970s and has been observed over the last 50 years by eager campers and by people who are camping for the first time.
Amazing Facts About Camping
To help people who aren’t currently campers decide whether or not camping is for them we decided to list some facts about camping below. We think the following facts provide all of our readers with some good information about this activity.
- It’s been estimated that approximately 14% of the U.S population goes camping each year.
- In the U.S, the average camper demographic is Caucasian males around the age of 35 years old.
- Over 40% of American campers camp at state campgrounds.
- It’s been estimated that the average camper will spend approximately $130 on their first camping trip.
- A natural way for people to reset their natural clocks is to go into the great outdoors and camp.
- One of the largest buyers of tents is the United States Department of Defense.
Observing National Camping Month
Although it might take a little bit of money for people new to camping to buy the supplies they need, we feel that once they try it out they’re going to love it. It’s definitely an activity that people should try out at least once in their lifetime, and this is the perfect month for people to begin their journey.
It’s also worth mentioning that this month isn’t just for people new to camping. It’s also a good month for people who have been camping for years to head out on a trip. Before they do so, however, they should take a moment to let the world know using the hashtag #NationalCampingMonth on their social media feeds.