National Cherry Popsicle Day
National Cherry Popsicle Day is a holiday that encourages people to enjoy cherry Popsicle on August 26th every year. And we couldn’t think of a better time to enjoy a cherry Popsicle than near the end of August—which is traditionally one of the hottest times of the year. The Popsicle is a frozen treat that was invented over 116+ years ago and continues to be a favorite treat of both the young and the old. So why not head out to your local grocery store and pick up some cherry Popsicle pops to enjoy on this sweet holiday?
The History Of The Popsicle
We couldn’t uncover the history of National Cherry Popsicle Day, but we were able to find out when the Popsicle was invented. It was invented in 1905 by then 11-year old Frank Epperson. He accidentally invented it after leaving a cup of soda out on his front porch with a stirring stick in it. When the temperatures dropped below freezing that night, the soda froze and the next morning Frank found that he had a frozen soda icicle.
Of course, 11-year old Frank didn’t immediately file for a patent on his new invention. In fact, it wouldn’t be until 1923 that he would file for a patent for his invention—at the age of 29. He had been calling his invention “Eppsicles,” but his children had a better name for it and called them “Pop’s ‘Sicles.” That name was the one he went with and a delicious frozen treat was created.
Epperson’s treat became popular almost immediately and he partnered with the Joe Lowe Co. to help distribute them at entertainment sites where people gathered such as Brooklyn’s Coney Island Amusement Park. He sold the first Popsicle pops for about 5-cents each and they originally came in only 7 different flavors—with cherry being the most popular of them all.
Cold Facts About Popsicles Pops
Want to know just a little bit more about Popsicle pops? Well, if you do, then we have you covered. We’ve found some tasty facts about these pops and we’re going to share them with you below.
- Epperson’s first Popsicle customers were his classmates.
- During WWII, a U.S Air Force unit chose the Popsicle as a symbol of American life.
- Popsicle Pops was marketed as a frozen drink on a stick.
- Popsicle sticks are made from birch wood.
- Popsicle sticks are popular for craft projects.
- Cherry is the most popular Popsicle flavor.
- The dual Popsicle stick was invented during the Great Depression.
- The seven original Popsicle flavors were root beer, lemon, orange, banana, grape, watermelon, and of course, cherry.
- Every year, over 2-billion Popsicles Pops are sold around the world. Yes, that’s right, 2-billion!
Observing National Cherry Popsicle Day
National Cherry Popsicle Day can be celebrated simply by running out and buying some cherry Popsicle pops to enjoy. While you’re enjoying your frozen confection, don’t forget to use the hashtag #NationalCherryPopsicleDay on your social media accounts to spread the word about this holiday.