National Dessert Month
Anyone who has been looking for a month when they can stuff their face with all kinds of cakes, pies, and other desserts is going to want to mark October on their calendar. That’s because this month is National Dessert Month. Even though dessert has been unfashionable the past few years due to people keeping an eye on their weight and their health, this is a month for people to indulge once again.
The word “dessert” goes all the way back to the 17th century and came from the French word “desservir,” which means to clear the table. And that word describes how dessert should be enjoyed — at the end of a meal.
The History Of National Dessert Month
At this time, we’re unable to find out who invented National Dessert Month. If we had to guess, we would probably say that it was invented by a company that profits off such as Sara Lee or Kraft. We’ll continue to search for the origins of this month, but at this moment it doesn’t look very likely that we’ll end up finding it.
Sweet Facts About Dessert
Before we come to the conclusion of this article, we would like to talk about some of the sweet facts that we’ve learned about desserts. So let’s take a few moments to serve up these facts.
- In Hong Kong, McDonald’s does wedding packages that feature wedding cakes made out of apple pies.
- According to legend, the candy cane was invented in Germany to keep children quiet during church services.
- Cheesecake appeared in nearly 100 episodes of The Golden Girls.
- Bea Arthur didn’t like cheesecake.
- Marzipan used to be sold by pharmacists as a medicine for mental and physical disorders.
- Mashed potatoes are often used in ice cream commercials because it doesn’t melt in between takes.
- October 14th I National Dessert Day.
- Despite its name, Boston Cream Pie is actually a cake.
- NASA has said that the food that is missed by most astronauts while they’re in space is ice cream.
- Marshmallow actually comes from a plant. During the Renaissance period, it was used as herbal medicine.
Observing National Dessert Month
National Dessert Month is the perfect month to try out a new dessert or a familiar favorite. There are plenty of options available to people looking to add dessert to the end of their meal, all they have to do is to choose the one they like the most.
Is it cake, pie, cookies, or ice cream? Only the person serving the dessert can answer that question, but we’re sure that whatever it is it’s going to be good.