|Date||Name Location / Topic|
National Cinnamon Crescent Day
National Farm Animals Day
Passover (5th Day)
Historical Events on April 10
- 1815: The Mount Tambora Volcano erupts on this day. It would continue to erupt until the 15th of July. As a result, over seventy thousand people are killed and the Earth’s climate is changed for 2-years.
- 1816: The creation of the 2nd Band of the U.S is approved by the United States Federal Government.
- 1826: Ten thousand people flee the town of Missolonghi when it’s sieged by Turkish forces.
- 1858: Whitechapel Bell Foundry recasts the bell for the Palace of Westminster after the original Big Ben had cracked during testing.
- 1865: The day after surrendering to Union troops, Confederate General Robert E. Lee addresses his troops for the very last time.
- 1866: In New York, the ASPCA is founded by Henry Bergh.
- 1872: The very first Arbor Day is celebrated in the state of Nebraska.
- 1904: Aleister Crowley transcribes the final chapter of The Book of the Law.
- 1912: The RMS Titanic leaves Southampton, England for her first and only voyage.
- 1925: The book The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is published by Charles Scribner’s Sons.
- 1941: The Independent State of Croatia is established by the Axis Powers during WWII.
- 1944: Alfred Wetzler and Rudolf Vrba escape from the now infamous Birkenau Death Camp.
- 1970: Paul McCartney tells the world that he is leaving his band – The Beatles.
- 1971: In the interest of better relations between the U.S and China, China hosts the United States table tennis team for a visit that will last a week.
- 1972: American B-52 bombers resume bombing targets in North Vietnam after reportedly not making bombing runs since November of 1967 during the Vietnam War.
- 1979: A tornado touches down in Wichita Falls in Texas. Over 40 people are killed.
Famous Birthdays on April 10
- English minister and founder of The Salvation Army, William Booth is born in 1829.
- American journalist, publisher and founder of the Pulitzer, Joseph Pulitzer is born in 1847.
- English actor George Arliss is born in 1868.
- American actor Harry Morgan is born in 1915.
- American actress Liz Sheridan is born in 1929.
- Swedish-French actor, Max von Sydow is born in 1929.