|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|Make a Gift Day||-||Unofficial (Appreciation & Honor, Relationships & Family)|
|Day of Navarre||Spain (Navarre)||Local Holiday|
|International Day of Persons with Disabilities||-||International (Awareness & Cause, United Nations)|
|National Roof Over Your Head Day||-||Unofficial (Appreciation & Honor)|
|Giving Tuesday||-||International (Activity & Action, Appreciation & Honor)|
|World Trick Shot Day||-||Unofficial (Hobby & Creativity, Sports)|
|Let’s Hug Day||-||Unofficial (Relationships & Family)|
Historical Events on December 3
- 1818: The Great State of Illinois becomes the twenty-first state of the United States.
- 1834: The first regularly conducted census in Germany is begun by the German Customs Union.
- 1901: United States President Theodore Roosevelt asks the U.S Congress to limit the power of trusts.
- 1910: At the Paris Motor Show, Georges Claude demonstrates the use of modern neon lighting.
- 1919: The Quebec Bridge finally opens to the public.
- 1927: The first Laurel and Hardy Film – Putting Pants on Philip – is released on this day.
- 1964: When the University of California Regents’ Office decides to forbid protest on University property, students takeover and sit-in at the University’s administration building. As a result, over 800 students are arrested by the police.
- 1971: Pakistan attack India and sparks the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
- 1973: The first up-close pictures of Jupiter are sent back to Earth from Pioneer 10.
- 1979: Eleven people are suffocated in a crush for seats outside a Who concert at Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 1982: When a soil sample is taken from Times Beach, Missouri, it’s shown to contain over three hundred times the safe levels for dioxin.
- 1994: The PlayStation game system was released for the first time in Japan on this day.
- 1999: Radio contact is lost between NASA and the Mars Polar Lander right before the spacecraft begins entering Mars’ atmosphere.
Famous Birthdays on December 3
- American general and politician, George B. McClellan is born in 1826.
- Cuban epidemiologist and doctor, Carlos Finlay is born in 1833.
- American activist and philanthropist, Phoebe Hearst is born in 1842.
- American businessman and founder of the Pillsbury Company, Charles Pillsbury is born in 1842.
- Polish novelist Joseph Conrad is born in 1857.
- Dutch chemist, engineer and Nobel Prize laureate, Paul J. Crutzen is born in 1933.
- British-American actor Nicolas Coster is born in 1934.
- American journalist and author, David K. Shipler is born in 1942.
- English singer-songwriter Ozzy Osbourne is born in 1948.
- American actress and producer, Daryl Hannah is born in 1960.
- American actress Julianne Moore is born in 1960.
- American actress Amanda Seyfried is born in 1985.