|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|Memorial Day||Argentina||National Holiday|
|World Tuberculosis Day||-||International (Health & Body, United Nations)|
|International Day for the Right to the Truth concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims||-||International (Awareness & Cause, United Nations)|
|National Chocolate Covered Raisin Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|Commonwealth Covenant Day||Northern Mariana Islands||Public Holiday|
Historical Events on March 24
- 1765: The Quartering Act is passed by Great Britain. This act requires people who live in the 13 Colonies to house British troops as needed.
- 1829: The U.K Parliament passes the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829. This act allows Catholics to openly serve in Parliament.
- 1832: Mormon leader Joseph Smith is beat, tarred and feather by a group of men in Hiram, Ohio.
- 1854: Venezuela abolishes slavery.
- 1878: The HMS Eurydice sinks. More than 300 people are killed.
- 1882: The discover of the bacterium responsible for tuberculosis – Mycobacterium tuberculosis – is announced by Robert Koch.
- 1896: The first radio signal transmission in human history occurs on this day by A.S Popov.
- 1944: At the Ardeatine Massacre, 335 Italian civilians are killed by German forces in Rome.
- 1944: 76 Allied POWs start breaking out of German Prisoner Camp Stalag Luft III during World War II. This event would later be dramatized by the movie “The Great Escape.”
- 1958: Elvis Presley is drafted into the United States Army.
- 1989: The Exxon Valdez spills over two hundred and forty thousand barrels of crude oil in Prince William Sound in the state of Alaska.
- 1993: The Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 is discovered on this day.
- 1998: 10 people are wounded and 5 are killed when teachers and students at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas are fired upon.
- 1998: Two hundred and fifty people are killed and another three thousand are injured when a tornado touches down in Dantan, India.
Famous Birthdays on March 24
- Hungarian-Jewish magician and escape artist, Harry Houdini is born in 1874.
- Dutch-American chemist, physicist and Nobel Prize laureate, Peter Debye is born in 1884.
- American actor, screenwriter and director, Roscoe Arbuckle is born in 1887.
- American bank robber, Clyde Barrow is born in 1909.
- American animator, producer and co-found of Hanna Barbera, Joseph Barbera is born in 1911.
- American author Mary Stolz is born in 1920.
- American actor Murray Hamilton is born in 1923.
- American actor Norman Fell is born in 1924.
- American actor Steve McQueen is born in 1930.
- English-American model and actress, Kelly LeBrock is born in 1960.
- German singer-songwriter Nena is born in 1960.
- American actor Jim Parsons is born in 1973.
- American football player Peyton Manning is born in 1976.
- American actress Jessica Chastain is born in 1977.