|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|Children's Picture Book Day||-||Unofficial (Education & Reading)|
|Eat an Eskimo Pie Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|National Black Forest Cake Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|National Something On a Stick Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|Weed Appreciation Day||-||Unofficial (Nature & Environment)|
|National Triglycerides Day||-||Unofficial (Awareness & Cause, Health & Body)|
|Maundy Thursday||Multiple [Show]||Multiple Types|
|Kuan Yin's Birthday||Taiwan||Observance|
|World Piano Day||-||Unofficial (Art & Entertainment, Art & Entertainment)|
Historical Events on March 28
- 1802: 2 Pallas – the 2nd asteroid to ever have been discovered – is discovered by Heinrich Wilhelm Matthaus Olbers.
- 1809: At the Battle of Medellin during the Peninsular War, Spain is defeated by France.
- 1814: Two Royal Navy ships capture two American Navy ships at the Battle of Valparaiso during the War of 1812.
- 1854: During the Crimean War, Britain and France both declare war on Russia.
- 1862: A Confederate invasion is stopped in the New Mexico at the Battle of Glorieta Pass during the American Civil War.
- 1871: In Paris, the Paris Commune is formally established.
- 1941: 3 heavy cruisers and 2 destroyers belonging to Italy’s Regia Marina is sunk by Britain’s Mediterranean Fleet during World War II.
- 1970: Over twelve hundred people are injured and over a thousand people are killed when an earthquake hits Western Turkey.
- 1978: A 5-3 decision is handed down by the United States Supreme Court in the Stump v. Sparkman case.
- 1979: At 3 Mile Island’s Unit 2 nuclear reactor just outside Harrisburg in Pennsylvania, a coolant leak causes the core to over heat and leads to a partial meltdown.
- 1990:S President George H.W. Bush posthumously awards the Congressional Gold Medal to Jesse Owens.
- 1994: Dozens of Inkatha Freedom Party protesters are killed in South Africa by African National Congress security guards.
- 1999: In Izbica, almost 150 Kosovo Albanians are killed by Serb military forces during the Kosovo War.
Famous Birthdays on March 28
- Russian novelist and playwright, Maxim Gorky is born in 1868.
- American rower John Geiger is born in 1873.
- American zoologist and TV host, Marlin Perkins is born in 1905.
- American actor Robert Allen is born in 1906.
- English author Norrey Ford is born in 1907.
- English songwriter and keyboard player, John Evan is born in 1948.
- American actress Dianne Wiest is born in 1948.
- American singer-songwriter and actress, Reba McEntire is born in 1955.
- American journalist and sportscaster, Chris Myers is born in 1959.
- British actor and comedian, Chris Barrie is born in 1960.