Historical Events on November 29
- 1776: When British reinforcements arrive, the Battle of Fort Cumberland, Nova Scotia during the American Revolutionary War comes to a quick end.
- 1781: 133 Africans are dumped into the sea so that the British slave ship Zong could claim the insurance on them.
- 1783: In New Jersey, an earthquake with a 5.3 magnitude strikes.
- 1847: The Cayuse War begins when Dr. Marcus Whitman, Narcissa Whitman and 15 other people are killed by Umatilla and Cayuse Native Americans.
- 1864: The Sand Creek Massacre occurs during the American Indian Wars when Colonel John Chivington and his volunteers murder at least 150 Arapaho and Cheyenne civilians inside the Colorado Territory.
- 1872: The Battle of Lost River starts the Modoc War.
- 1877: The phonograph is demonstrated by Thomas Edison for the very first time.
- 1929: United States Admiral Richard E. Byrd leads the expedition to fly over the South Pole.
- 1944: Albania is liberating by Partisans during WWII.
- 1947: The U.N General Assembly approves a plan that calls for the partition of Palestine.
- 1961: The Mercury-Atlas 5 mission is launched; It was unmanned by did have a chimpanzee named Enos on board. It orbited Earth twice and then splashed down off of the coast of Puerto Rico.
- 1963: The Warren Commission is established by U.S President Lyndon B. Johnson to investigate the assassination of United States President John F. Kennedy.
Famous Birthdays on November 29
- German poet and author, Wilhelm Hauff is born in 1802.
- Austrian mathematician and physicist, Christian Doppler is born in 1803.
- American poet and novelist, Louisa May Alcott is born in 1832.
- Portuguese physician and Nobel Prize laureate, Egas Moniz is born in 1874.
- British novelist, poet and critic, C.S. Lewis is born in 1898.
- American actress Cathy Moriarty is born in 1960.
- American actor and director, Andrew McCarthy is born in 1962.
- American actor and producer, Don Cheadle is born in 1964.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in