Hug Your Cat Day is an unofficial holiday that falls on the 4th of June. As its name suggests, the purpose of this holiday is to give you a reason to hug your cat-as if you already didn’t already have a reason. It’s a day to appreciate everything that your feline friend does for you by providing companionship and by being there when we need them. If you’re as attached to your cat (or cats), then take a few moments to show some appreciation on this holiday.
The History Of Hug Your Cat Day
At this time, we are unfortunately unable to find out who invented this holiday. We scoured the Internet far and wide and couldn’t find anything about this holiday or when it was invented. We’ll keep searching until we find the answer, but we’re afraid that this is one of those holidays with an origin story that’s been lost to time.
Fun Facts About Cats
Wanna learn some fun feline facts? If you do, then we’ve gathered together quite a collection of them below. Take a few moments out of your time before you begin celebrating Hug Your Cat Day to learn more about your favorite feline friends.
- On average, cats have 244 bones. Humans only have 206 bones.
- Kittens only have 26 teeth, while adult cats have 30.
- The average house cat shares 95.6% of its DNA with tigers.
- Cats are capable of jumping up to 5-times their height.
- Cat’s brains have twice the number of neurons as dog’s brains do.
- A cat’s tongue contains special hooking known as filiform papillae that can strip the meat off of bones.
- Cats can literally taste scents from the air they sample.
- Cat’s whiskers are the same width of their body and allow them to judge which spaces they can fit into and which ones they can’t.
- Cats mark their territory by rubbing their faces and bodies against things-including people!
- Meowing is a language that cats developed specifically to communicate with human beings.
- A cat can purr at a frequency of up to 150 hertz.
- When a cat shows its owner its belly, it’s a sign of trust.
- Cats can sleep up to 16-hours a day.
- Cats can spend over 30% of the time that they’re awake grooming themselves.
- If a cat approaches its owner with a straight tail, that’s a sign that he/she is happy to see them.
Observing Hug Your Cat Day
Aside from hugging your cat and showing them some appreciation, this holiday can be observed in a variety of different ways. You can buy your cat a new toy or maybe some catnip. You can also spend the day researching cats and using the hashtag #HugYourCatDay on your social media accounts.
When is Hug Your Cat Day?
|This year (2021)||June 4 (Friday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2022)||June 4 (Saturday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2020)||June 4 (Thursday)||Multiple dates - more|