Historical Events on June 4
- 1792: Puget Sound is claimed by Capt. George Vancouver in the name of Great Britain.
- 1802: King Charles Emmanuel IV of Sardinia gives up his throne. His brother, Victor Emmanuel would then ascend the throne.
- 1812: After Louisiana becomes a U.S. States, the rest of the territory known as the Louisiana Territory is renamed the Missouri Territory.
- 1825: During his visit to the U.S., French officer General Lafayette speaks at the site which would become Lafayette Square in Buffalo, New York.
- 1855: Major Henry C. Wayne boards the USS Supply to obtain camels that are going to be brought back to the U.S to establish the Camel Corps.
- 1862: During the American Civil War, Fort Pillow is abandoned by Confederate forces. This cleared the way for Union force to take the city of Memphis in Tennessee.
- 1896: Henry Ford puts the finishing touches on his first gasoline-powered vehicle and gives it a test run.
- 1912: Massachusetts institutes a minimum wage and become the first U.S State to do so.
- 1913: A suffragette by the name of Emily Davison runs out in front of King George V’s horse at the Epsom Derby. She is trampled and eventually dies 4-days later.
- 1917: The first Pulitzer Prizes are given out. Initial winners include: Herbert B. Swope, Laura E. Richards, Florence Hall, Maude H. Elliott and Jean Jules Jusserand.
- 1919: The 19th Amendment to the U.S Constitution is passed by Congress. This act gives women the right to vote. It’s next stop is to head down to the U.S States for ratification.
Famous Birthdays on June 4
- German chemist and Nobel Prize laureate, Heinrich Otto Wieland is born in 1877.
- American actress Clara Blandick is born in 1880.
- American pharmacologist, biochemist and Nobel Prize laureate, Robert F. Furchgott is born in 1916.
- American actor Noah Wyle is born in 1971.
- English comedian and actor, Russell Brand is born in 1975.
- American football player, Henry Burris is born in 1975.
- American actress, activist and director, Angelina Jolie is born in 1975.