If someone had never seen or heard of coffee cake before, then they might think that it was a coffee-flavored cake. However, that’s not the case. Coffee cake is actually a type of cake that’s supposed to be served with coffee—hence the name. It’s a type of cake that’s been enjoyed for hundreds of years and one that continues to enjoy quite the following. That’s probably it’s one of the few cakes that have earned the right to get their own holiday. A holiday that’s known as National Coffee Cake Day and is celebrated on April 7th every year.
The History Of Coffee Cake
Who invented National Coffee Cake Day? We’re not quite sure, but we do know when the coffee cake was invented. Coffee cake evolved from a number of sweet desserts that were popular in Vienna during the 16th and 17th centuries—namely, Kaffekuchen and Gugelhupf. German immigrants then brought these cakes to North America where they morphed into the coffee cakes we know and love to this day.
Facts About Coffee Cakes
As we dug deep into our research for this holiday we came across some very interesting facts about coffee cake. One of the facts that we’ve discovered is that there are coffee cakes that are not only meant to be eaten with coffee but are also coffee-flavored as well. The rest of the mind-blowing facts that we’ve learned are listed below.
- American coffee cake is made with butter and cinnamon granules on top.
- Applesauce cake is a type of coffee cake that’s made with flour, sugar, and applesauce.
- Amish Friendship Bread is a sweet bread that’s a cross between a coffee cake and a pound cake.
- British coffee cake is often known as coffee and walnut cake due to its walnut topping.
- Coffee cake recipes can be found in American cookbooks as early as the late 19th century.
- Most U.S coffee cakes don’t contain coffee as an ingredient.
- Most coffee cakes have some type of streusel topping.
- Streusel is a German word that means to sprinkle.
- Streusel can be a simple glaze topping or can be fruit, nuts, or even oats as a topping.
- Coffee cake is not usually a dessert that makes it in most people’s top ten cake lists.
Observing National Coffee Cake Day
National Coffee Cake Day can be observed by cutting yourself a slice of coffee cake and then serving it with your favorite coffee. There are an almost endless variety of both coffee cakes and coffees, so just about everyone can enjoy this holiday in their own unique way. And while you’re enjoying this holiday, be sure to use the hashtag #NationalCoffeeCakeDay and let everyone else know about this holiday. After all, what’s better than having coffee cake and coffee with some friends?
When is National Coffee Cake Day?
|This year (2022)||April 7 (Thursday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||April 7 (Friday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||April 7 (Wednesday)||Multiple dates - more|