National Custodial Worker’s Recognition Day
National Custodial Worker’s Recognition Day is a holiday that falls on October 2nd each year. And we think that it’s very appropriate that this day falls on a day that occurs near the beginning of most schools’ school year. After all, custodians are the employees who help to keep our schools clean.
However, custodians also work in our workplaces to keep employees’ trash from piling up as well. That’s why this is an important holiday for so many people and one that honors the custodians of the world. Because of what they do on a daily basis, our children are able to pursue their education at their local school and we’re able to earn a living at our daily job.
Interesting Facts About Custodians
Just in case people need to know more about custodians and the jobs they do so that they can properly celebrate this holiday, we’ve decided to go ahead and list some of the things that we know about this profession that we would like to share with everyone.
- The median hourly wage for custodians in 2020 was $13.98.
- Every year, there are about 314,000 openings for janitors.
- The top annual median salary for custodians is approximately $29,080 per year.
- The famous horror author Stephen King worked as both a janitor and a teacher before selling his book Carrie.
- Jon Bon Jovi also worked briefly as a Christmas decoration maker which would later become more of a custodial role.
Observing National Custodial Worker’s Recognition Day
Most of us know a custodian that we can thank on this day. Maybe it’s the custodian that works at our children’s school or maybe it’s a custodian that works in our office. Either way, this is the day on which you should thank them for what they do.
If you don’t know any custodians in the real world, you can also feel free to give a general shout-out to all custodians using the Internet and the hashtag #CustodialWorkersRecognitionDay.