National Military Appreciation Month
Although everyone should be showing appreciation to the men and women who keep America safe every month of the year, there is an actual month dedicated to nothing but showing appreciation to veterans and active military personnel. This month is May and it’s officially called National Military Appreciation Month.
This month encourages all Americans to take time out of their busy schedules to show appreciation to active members of the military, reserve members, members of the National Guard, and veterans who served their country with distinction. All across the U.S, there are events and activities that are held in honor of the military as well.
The History Of National Military Appreciation Month
In 1999, the United State Congress designated May as National Military Appreciation Month to give every American citizen an opportunity to show their appreciation to currently serving members of the military and to veterans.
Facts About The U.S Military
During our research for this month, we came across a lot of great facts about the U.S military. Facts that we would like to now share with everyone reading right now. We think the following facts will prove interesting to anyone interested in the military or are celebrating National Military Appreciation Month.
- In the U.S military, there are over 1,100 career specialties.
- Veterans make up approximately 6% of the U.S workforce.
- Veterans are more likely to be in STEM fields than non-veterans.
- The United States has over 750 overseas military installations.
- Thirty U.S Presidents have served in the Army.
- Twenty-four U.S Presidents served in the Army during a time of war.
- The U.S Air Force was originally part of the Army. It didn’t become its own branch until 1946.
- The U.S Defense Department owns almost 30 million acres of land all over the world.
- The U.S Coast Guard is smaller than the New York City Police Department.
- The Lewis and Clark Expedition was led by the U.S Army.
- The United States Army was created before the United States.
- The U.S Army was created in 1775, and the U.S was established in 1776.
- Congress established the Department of Defense in 1789. At the time, it was called the War Department.
- It costs over $150,000 to fully train canine members of the military’s bomb squad.
- The United States has officially declared war 11 times.
- U.S President Abraham Lincoln signed the Medal of Honor into creation.
Observing National Military Appreciation Month
All across the U.S during this month, there are luncheons, parades, picnics, and special ceremonies that show military personnel the appreciation they deserve. This is also a good month for people to support veteran causes or to learn more about the military.
And finally, people can spread the news about this month using the hashtag #NationalMilitaryAppreciationMonth on social media. Let’s all give a shout-out to every active member of the military and veteran — no matter where they live.