National Packaging Design Day
They say that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but that’s precisely what billions of people around the world do on a daily basis. Whenever we walk into a store, one of the first things that grabs our attention is the packaging of a product. Manufacturers have created an entire art form around designing packaging in such a way as to make as big an impact on consumers as possible.
Packaging is so important to sales that an entire holiday has been created to celebrate packaging design. This holiday is called National Packaging Design Day, and it’s observed on the 7th of May each year. It’s a day for packaging designers to recognize each other’s work and for consumers to learn more about creative design.
The History of National Packaging Design Day
National Packaging Design Day was created in 2015 by Design Packaging. The purpose of this holiday is to shine a light on the role of packaging design in influencing sales. It’s a holiday that has been celebrated every year since, not just among professional packaging designers but also by some members of the general public.
Facts About Packaging
Below are some facts we’ve uncovered about packaging that we would like to share with everyone.
- Coca-Cola has some of the most recognized packaging in the world. 94% of the world’s population recognizes their branding.
- The first cardboard shipping box was patented in 1903.
- In 2021, more than 80 billion corrugated shipping boxes were used.
- Over 78 million tons of packaging waste are produced every single year.
- Half of all packaging can be recycled.
- Over a million plastic bottles are purchased every minute of every day.
Observing National Packaging Design Day
This holiday can easily be observed by learning more about packaging design and its influence on our buying decisions. People can also use the hashtag #NationalPackagingDesignDay to raise awareness about this holiday with all their internet friends.