National Raspberry Cream Pie Day
If there’s ever a good time for enjoying a slice of raspberry cream pie, it has to be during the summer. That’s probably why someone decided that August 1st would be the perfect day to celebrate this pie. And that’s why every year we celebrate National Raspberry Cream Pie Day. Raspberries are full of vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and raspberry cream pie is a delicious summer dessert, so why not enjoy this holiday by cutting yourself a slice? Just don’t forget to share some with friends and family.
The History of Raspberry Cream Pies
Unfortunately, we were unable to uncover the history of National Raspberry Cream Pie Day, so we decided to research the history of the raspberry cream pie instead. However, this also proved to be quite difficult since most historians don’t know when or where this particular pie was invented. What we do know is that raspberries have been used to make desserts since the Middle Ages—with the most frequently being used in raspberry tarts. Raspberry pies were also made during this time, but the crust of the pie was usually so hard that it was inedible.
Cream pies are believed to have originated in Amish and Shaker communities—most likely based on English and German recipes. If this is true, this would place the invention of the cream pie sometime around the 19th century. Since raspberries have been cultivated in Asia Minor and North America since before the 4th century, we’re sure that once cream pies were invented, a raspberry cream pie was invented soon after.
Interesting Facts About Raspberries
Want some fun facts about raspberries? If you do, then allow us to entertain you with some amazing facts about this fruit. We discovered the following facts about raspberries during our research for National Raspberry Cream Pie Day. We hope that you enjoy them.
- Raspberries are members of the rose family.
- Raspberries are aggregate fruits. That means they have flowers with multiple ovaries—with each ovary producing drupelets around a core.
- Even though only two species of raspberries are grown on an industrial scale, there are actually over 200 different types of raspberries.
- The “raspberry sound” produced by a person’s mouth was originally called a raspberry tart in England. It was shortened to raspberry.
- The first written appreciation for raspberries seems to come from the 4th century in the ancient city of Troy.
- May 3rd is National Raspberry Popover Day.
- August 7th is National Raspberries & Cream Day.
- Raspberries provide up to 40% of a person’s Recommended Daily Allowance for Vitamin C per serving.
Observing National Raspberry Cream Pie Day
National Raspberry Cream Pie Day can be celebrated by enjoying one of these pies by yourself or with friends and family. You can bake your own, or if you live near a bakery that makes them, grab one from there. While you’re enjoying this dessert, don’t forget to use the hashtag #NationalRaspberryCreamPieDay on your social media posts to spread the word about this sweet holiday.