Historical Events on April 6
- 1199: King Richard I of England expires from an infection. He received the infection after an arrow was removed from his shoulder.
- 1250: King Louis IX of France is captured by the Ayyubids of Egypt at the Battle of Friskur during the 7th
- 1320: The Declaration of Arbroath is signed by the Scots as a way to reaffirm their independence.
- 1580: One of the biggest recorded earthquakes in the history of England and Northern France takes place on this day.
- 1776: The Continental Navy tries to capture a Royal Navy dispatch ship but fail during the American Revolutionary War.
- 1808: The American Fur Company is incorporated on this day. This company would make the owner – John Jacob Astor – the first American millionaire.
- 1862: General Ulysses S. Grant and his Union forces clash with General Albert Sidney Johnston and his Confederate forces in Tennessee as the Battle of Shiloh starts during the American Civil War.
- 1865: While in retreat from the city of Richmond in Virginia, Confederate forces led by General Robert E. Lee loses its last major battle – the Battle of Sailor’s Creek during the American Civil War.
- 1866: An American patriotic organization known as the Grand Army of the Republic is founded on this day. This organization, which was made up of Union veterans from the American Civil War would last until 1956 – when its last member, Albert Woolson dies.
- 1869: Hannibal Goodwin receives a patent for Celluloid.
- 1895: At the Cadogan Hotel in London, Oscar Wilde is arrest after he losed his libel case against the Marquess of Queensberry.
Famous Birthdays on April 6
- Italian painter and architect, Raphael is born in 1483.
- French playwright and poet, Jean-Baptiste Rousseau is born in 1671.
- American founder of the Douglas Aircraft Co., Donald Wills Douglas, Sr. is born in 1892.
- American songwriter and composer, Leo Robin is born in 1900.
- American actor Paul Rudd is born in 1969.
- American actor and screenwriter, Zach Braff is born in 1975.