|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|Independence Day of the Republic of Kosovo||Kosovo||Official Holiday|
|Libyan Revolution Day||Libya||Public Holiday|
|National Random Acts of Kindness Day||-||Unofficial (Activity & Action)|
|National Cabbage Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|National Caregivers Day||-||Unofficial (Work & Occupation)|
|Al Isra' wal Miraj||Jordan||Observance|
|Great Backyard Bird Count||-||Unofficial (Activity & Action, Animals)|
Historical Events on February 17
- 1801: Thomas Jefferson is voted as President of the United States and Aaron Burr was voted Vice President by the U.S House of Representatives after an electoral tie occurred between the two politicians.
- 1814: The Battle of Mormant begins during the War of the 6th
- 1819: The Missouri Compromise is passed by the U.S House of Representatives.
- 1854: The independence of the Orange Free State is officially recognized by the U.K.
- 1863: Some citizens from Geneva organize an International Committee for Relief to the Wounded. This organization would eventually become known International Committee of the Red Cross.
- 1864: The submarine H.L. Hunley sinks the warship the USS Housatonic. It’s the first time in history that a submarine successfully engages and sinks a warship.
- 1865: As Confederate forces retreat and Union forces advance, the city of Columbia, South Carolina burns during the American Civil War.
- 1871: The Prussian Army parades through Paris. This concludes the successful Siege of Paris by the Prussians during the Franco-Prussian War.
- 1944: The Battle of Eniwetok starts during World War II.
- 1944: Operation Hailstone begins in Support of the Eniwetok invasion. This operation involves U.S naval air forces, surface ships and submmarines against Truk Lagoon – the main base of Japan in the central Pacific.
- 1959: Vanguard 2 is the first weather satellite to measure cloud cover distribution.
- 1965: The Ranger 8 Probe launches on its mission to take pictures of the “Sea Of Tranquility” area of the moon in order to prepare for the Apollo Missions.
Famous Birthdays on February 17
- American sculptor Richard Henry Park is born in 1832.
- American businessman Thomas J. Watson is born in 1874.
- American actor and director, Hal Holbrook is born in 1925.
- American football player and actor, Jim Brown is born in 1936.
- American model and actress, Mary Ann Mobley is born in 1937.
- American basketball player Michael Jordan is born in 1963.
- American model and actress, Denise Richards is born in 1971.
- American singer-songwriter, Billie Joe Armstrong is born in 1972.