|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|Plurinational State Foundation Day||Bolivia||National Holiday|
|Ukrainian Unity Day||Ukraine||Observance|
|National Hot Sauce Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|National Blonde Brownie Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|National Heroes Day||Cayman Islands||Public Holiday|
|Wellington Anniversary Day||New Zealand (Manawatu-Wanganui*, Wellington)||Local Holiday|
|Answer Your Cat's Questions Day||-||Unofficial (Weird & Obscure)|
|Tax Identity Theft Week||-||Unofficial (Awareness & Cause)|
|National Polka Dot Day||-||Unofficial (Lifestyle)|
|Celebration Of Life Day||-||Unofficial (Activity & Action)|
|Community Manager Appreciation Day||-||Unofficial (Work & Occupation)|
Historical Events on January 22
- 1890: In the city of Columbus in Ohio, the United Mine Worker’s of America is established.
- 1901: After the death of Queen Victoria, Edward VII is made king.
- 1905: The 1905 Revolution begins in Saint Petersburg, Russia with the start of Bloody Sunday.
- 1906: More than a hundred and six people are killed when the SS Valencia runs aground on Vancouver Island in British Columbia.
- 1915: Over six hundred people are killed when a train flies off the tracks and into a canyon in Guadalajara, Mexico.
- 1917:S President Woodrow Wilson calls for peace without victory in Europe in an attempt to keep the United States neutral during World War I.
- 1941: During Operation Compass of World War II, the city of Tobruk is captured from Italian forces by British and Commonwealth forces.
- 1944: Operation Shingle during World War II begins as the Allies assault the cities of Anzio and Nettuno in Italy.
- 1947: The 1st commercial TV station west of the Mississippi River begins operation on this day. It’s KTLA of Hollywood, California.
- 1968: The first Lunar module lifts off on Apollo 5.
- 1968: The United States electronic surveillance system that attempts to thwart communist infiltration in South Vietnam – Operation Igloo White – is installed on this day.
- 1970: The first Jumbo Jet – the Boeing 747 – flies from John F. Kennedy International Airport to London’s Heathrow Airport on its maiden voyage on this day.
- 1973: Elective abortions are legalized in the United States when the U.S Supreme Court makes its decisions in Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton cases.
- 1973: After the final Apollo moon landing mission, the Apollo 17 crew addresses a joint session of the U.S. Congress.
- 1992: Doctor Roberta Bondar becomes the 1st Canadian woman and the 1st neurologist to go into space.
Famous Birthdays on January 22
- American actress Piper Laurie is born in 1932.
- American actor Bill Bixby is born in 1934.
- American author Joe Esposito is born in 1938.
- English actor John Hurt is born in 1940.
- American singer-songwriter Steve Perry is born in 1949.
- American actress Linda Blair is born in 1959.
- Australian singer-songwriter Michael Huchence is born in 1960.