|Date||Name Location / Topic|
Commemoration of Atatürk, Youth and Sports Day
National Devil’s Food Cake Day
Take Your Parents To The Playground Day
Pentecost / Whit Sunday
Historical Events on May 19
- 1536: The 2nd wife of King Henry VIII of England, Anne Boleyn, is beheaded for crimes which include treason, incest and adultery.
- 1568: The order for the arrest of Mary Queen of Scots is given by Queen Elizabeth I of England.
- 1655: During the Anglo-Spanish War, Jamaica is invaded by British forces.
- 1743: The Centigrade temperature scale is created by Jean-Pierre Christin on this day.
- 1749: The Ohio Company is granted a land grant around the forks of the Ohio River by King George II of Great Britain.
- 1776: At the Battle of the Cedars during the American Revolutionary War, the Continental Army surrenders a garrison.
- 1802: The Legion of Honor is founded by Napoleon Bonaparte on this day.
- 1828: The Tariff of 1828 is signed into law by United States’ President John Quincy Adams. Among other things, this act protects U.S wool manufacturers.
- 1848: The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo is ratified by Mexico. This treaty ends the Mexican American War and gives Utah, California and Nevada to the U.S. It also gives portions of 4 other modern U.S states to the U.S for $15 million dollars.
- 1942: After the Battle of the Coral Sea during World War 2, Task Force 16 returns to Pearl Harbor.
- 1962: At Madison Square Garden, A birthday salute is held for United States’ President John F. Kennedy. During this event, actress Marilyn Monroe will sing Happy Birthday to the President.
Famous Birthdays on May 19
- American Lieutenant, pilot and Medal of Honor recipient, Frank Luke is born in 1897.
- American scientist Ruth Ella Moore is born in 1903.
- Austrian-English biologist and Nobel Prize laureate, Max Perutz is born in 1914.
- American minister and activist, Malcolm X is born in 1925.
- English singer-songwriter Pete Townshend is born in 1945.
- English actress Victoria Wood is born in 1953.
- Canadian-American computer scientist and creator of JAVA, James Gosling is born in 1955.