National Devil’s Food Cake Day is a holiday that’s observed annually on May 19th and pays homage to a dessert that’s celebrated and enjoyed the world over. Chocolate cake goes back to the 18th century and has become a favorite dessert of millions upon millions of people ever since.
But Devil’s Food Cake is a version of the chocolate cake that’s moister and more delicious than other variations of this cake. That’s why we encourage everyone to celebrate the storied history of this cake by observing this holiday every year. After all, any holiday that is centered around chocolate and cake is probably a holiday that one should celebrate.
Some Delicious Devil’s Food Cake Facts
Let’s go over some interesting facts about devil’s food cake that we learned over the course of our research for this holiday. Although we were unable to uncover the history of this holiday, we were able to uncover the following facts.
- Devil’s food cake is the counterpart to angel food cake.
- This cake is moister and typically has more air whipped into it than ordinary chocolate cake.
- Cocoa is often used in devil’s food cakes instead of chocolate.
- Typically, devil’s food cakes are made with fewer eggs than chocolate cakes.
- The earliest recipe for this cake was printed in 1905.
- Red velvet cake is closely related to devil’s food cake.
Observing Devil’s Food Cake Day
Let’s all celebrate this holiday by taking the time to make our own devil’s food cake. Of course, we understand that not everyone has the time or inclination to bake their own cake, so for these people, a store-bought cake should suffice. Anyone celebrating this holiday should also use the hashtag #DevilsFoodCakeDay to spread the word about this holiday to chocolate cake lovers around the globe.
When is National Devil’s Food Cake Day?
|This year (2022)||May 19 (Thursday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||May 19 (Friday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||May 19 (Wednesday)||Multiple dates - more|