Observed annually on May 14th, Independence Day is a public holiday in Paraguay that celebrates the country’s independence from Spain in 1811. This holiday is celebrated over a two-day period that begins on the 14th and ends on the 15th. Because this is a public holiday in Paraguay, schools and government buildings are closed, as are many businesses.
It’s a day when people take to the streets to enjoy their freedom and to do a bit of celebrating. On this day, people enjoy good food with friends and family members, dance, shoot off fireworks and enjoy other celebratory events.
The History Of Independence Day In Paraguay
During the 16th century, Paraguay was first colonized by the Spanish and almost immediately tensions began to rise between the indigenous population and the Spanish in the area. On May 14th, 1811, the Paraguayans were able to oust the Spanish thanks to lawyer Dr. Jose Gaspar Rodriguez de Francia. Dr. Francia would become the first President of Paraguay and would serve from 1814 through 1840.
Interesting Facts About Paraguay
Below are some interesting facts about Paraguay that we feel everyone can find interesting.
- Corazon de America (Heart of America) is the nickname for Paraguay due to its central location in South America.
- The name of Paraguay means “Crowned River.”
- Paraguay’s literacy rate is 94.5%, as compared to the United States literacy rate of 86.3%.
- The inner bark of red Lapacho trees is used to make an ancient herbal medicine known as Taheebo.
- Paraguay has the largest navy of any land-locked country in the entire world.
- Dueling is legal in Paraguay, but both participants have to be registered blood donors.
Observing Independence Day In Paraguay
This holiday is celebrated with song and dance, soccer games and concerts, and above all, barbecues. People all over the country gather with loved ones to celebrate the day, eat good food such as Sopa Paraguaya, Chipa Guasu, Butifarra, and Payagua Mascada. It’s also a day to celebrate one of the major players in Paraguayan independence: Juan Maria De Lara.
When is Independence Day In Paraguay?
|This year (2022)||May 15 (Sunday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||May 15 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||May 15 (Saturday)||Multiple dates - more|