Stephen Robert Irwin was an Australian zookeeper, conservationist, wildlife expert, and television personality. He achieved worldwide fame thanks to his TV series The Crocodile Hunter, which ran from 1996 through 2007.
He also became popular due to his conservation work rescuing crocodiles and a variety of other animals. It’s for these reasons that November 15th is celebrated annually as Steve Irwin Day.
Every year, people not only celebrate his memory, but they also keep his dream alive by making sure they support Wildlife Warriors and other organizations dedicated to animal conservation. And it’s also a day for people to finally consider the environment and give it the respect it deserves. If we don’t, then a lot more species are going to go extinct — maybe even ours.
The History Of Steve Irwin Day
Steve Irwin was born on February 22nd, 1960 to two parents who were dedicated to taking care of wildlife. His father was a herpetologist and wildlife expert, and his mother was a wildlife rehabilitator who took care of orphaned or injured animals.
In 1970, they moved to Queensland and opened a reptile park known as Beerwah Reptile and Fauna Park. A few years later, it would be renamed Queensland Reptile and Fauna, before it would officially become known as Australia Zoo.
Steve Irwin got married in 1992 to Terri Raines. Shortly thereafter, the series The Crocodile Hunter was created, and Steve immediately became a TV star and pop culture icon. On September 4th, 2006, Steve Irwin was on a diving expedition filming “Ocean’s Deadliest” when a stingray killed him. Shortly thereafter, Steve Irwin Day was created to celebrate his life and to keep his dream of protecting the animal species he loved so dearly alive.
Interesting Facts About Steve Irwin
Let’s take on a few of the facts about Steve Irwin that we learned while we were busy researching Steve Irwin Day. We hope the following facts will highlight the life of Steve Irwin, even if it’s only by a little bit.
- Steve Irwin met his wife Terri at the Australian Zoo.
- The first episode of The Crocodile Hunter was filmed during Steve and Terri’s honeymoon.
- The Crocodile Hunter has been seen and enjoyed by over 500 million in 130 different countries.
- The main purpose of The Crocodile Hunter was to create awareness around conservationism.
- Due to the popularity of The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin was able to expand the Australia Zoo.
- Steve Irwin was reportedly scared of parrots.
- The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course movie won a Young Artist Award for Best Family Feature Film in Comedy in 2002.
- Steve Irwin discovered a new species of turtle. This species is Elseya Irwini.
Observing Steve Irwin Day
Everyone is encouraged to observe Steve Irwin Day by taking the time to support Wildlife Warriors or other organizations that help to protect animal species today. This is also a good day for people to spread the word about this holiday using the hashtag #SteveIrwinDay on social media. And, of course, it’s a day for people to watch old episodes of The Crocodile Hunter as well.
When is Steve Irwin Day?
|This year (2023)||November 15 (Wednesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2024)||November 15 (Friday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2022)||November 15 (Tuesday)||Multiple dates - more|