Historical Events on March 4
- 1493: After his voyage to islands in the Caribbean, Christopher Columbus arrives in Lisbon, Portugal on this day.
- 1519: Hernán Cortés makes it to Mexico to search for the Aztec Civilization and gold.
- 1628: A Royal Charter is given to the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- 1665: The Second Anglo-Dutch War begins when King Charles II declares war on the Netherlands.
- 1681: A land charter is given to William Penn by Charles II. The area in which the land charter is located will eventually become Pennsylvania.
- 1776: Dorchest Heights in Boston is fortified with cannons by the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War.
- 1789: The U.S Congress convenes and put the U.S Constitution into effect.
- 1814: British forces are defeated at the Battle of Longwoods by American forces near Wardsville, Ontario.
- 1837: Chicago is incorporated as a city on this day.
- 1861: The 1st Flag of the Confederate States of America – known as the Stars & Bars – is adopted by the Confederacy.
- 1865: The Confederate Congress approves the 3rd Flag of the Confederate States of America. This flag is referred to as the “Blood Stained Banner.”
- 1941: The first large British Commando raid occurs during Operation Claymore on the Lofoten Islands during World War II.
- 1943: The Battle of the Bismark Sea ends.
- 1944: Daylight bombing raids are conducted over Berlin, Germany by the United States Army Air Forces.
Famous Birthdays on March 4
- American novelist David Plante is born in 1940.
- Japanese-American physicist Anthony Ichiro Sanda is born in 1944.
- American writer James Ellroy is born in 1948.
- English actress and model, Patsy Kensit is born in 1968.
- American journalist and author, Katherine Center is born in 1972.
- Canadian wrestler Sara Stock is born in 1979.
- American ice hockey player Michael Henrich is born in 1980.
- English cyclist Helen Wyman is born in 1981.
- American fashion designer and author, Whitney Port is born in 1985.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in