Historical Events on December 27
- 1814: Catching on fire from heated shot hurled by British forces, the USS Carolina eventually is destroyed during the War of 1812.
- 1831: Charles Darwin boards the HMS Beagle. It’s during this trip that he’ll start to formalize some of his ideas on his theory of evolution.
- 1845: Crawford uses anesthetic for a woman in childbirth for the first time. This happened in Jefferson, Georgia.
- 1845: Journalist John L. O’Sullivan advocated the use of Manifest Destiny in claiming the entirety of the Oregon Country in his article in the New York Morning News.
- 1927: The first truly American musical – Show Boat – plays for the first time at Ziegfeld Theater on Broadway.
- 1939: As Soviet forces attack the city of Kelja, Finnish forces are able to hold them off during the Winter War.
- 1966: The largest known cave shaft in the entire world is located in Aquismón, San Luis Potosí, Mexico. It’s called the Cave of Swallows.
- 1979: Soviet Forces invade Afghanistan in what would become a costly and bloody war for them.
- 2004: The radiation expelled from the magnetar SGR 1806-20 reaches the Earth. It’s considered to be the brightest extrasolar event to have been witnessed.
- 2008: During Operation Cast Lead, a three week operation is launched on Gaza by Israel.
Famous Birthdays on December 27
- French chemist and microbiologist, Louis Pasteur is born in 1822.
- English-Canadian journalist and politician, Mackenzie Bowell is born in 1823.
- French painter and illustrator, Hermann Paul is born in 1864.
- German actress and screenwriter, Thea von Harbou is born in 1888.
- German-American actress, Marlene Dietrich is born in 1901.
- English actress Irene Handl is born in 1901.
- American gynecologist and author, William Masters is born in 1915.
- American actress Cathy Lewis is born in 1916.
- American general Charles Sweeney is born in 1919.
- Canadian NHL player, Patrick Sharp is born in 1981.
- American illustrator Erin E. Stead is born in 1982
- American high jumper Jesse Williams is born in 1983.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in