|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|Independence Restoration Day||Georgia||Public Holiday|
|Vimy Ridge Day||Canada||Observance|
|Constitution Day of the Republic of Kosovo||Kosovo||Official Holiday|
|Martyrs' Day||Tunisia||Public Holiday|
|National Cherish an Antique Day||-||Unofficial (Art & Entertainment, Hobby & Creativity)|
|National Name Yourself Day||-||Unofficial (Weird & Obscure)|
|National Winston Churchill Day||-||Unofficial (Culture & History)|
|National Chinese Almond Cookie Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day||-||Unofficial (Appreciation & Honor)|
|The Day of Valor||Philippines||Regular Holiday|
Historical Events on April 9
- 1511: John’s College in Cambridge, England receives its charter on this day.
- 1585: The expedition that was planned by Sir Walter Raleigh leaves England on this day for Roanoke Island in what would become North Carolina. The purpose of this expedition is to establish Roanoke Colony.
- 1609: 12 years of truce are started when the Dutch Republic and Spain both sign the Treaty of Antwerp during the 80 Years War.
- 1682: The mouth of the Mississippi River in North America is discovered by Robert Cavelier de La Salle. He claims it in the name of France and names it Louisiana.
- 1782: The Battle of the Saintes starts during the American War of Independence.
- 1860: Edouard-Leon Scott de Martinville makes the oldest recording of a human voice when he records his voice on his phonautograph machine.
- 1865: Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrenders to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Courthouse in Virginia in a move that would basically be the conclusion of the war.
- 1909: The Payne Aldrich Tariff Act is passed by the United States Congress.
- 1916: At the Battle of Verdun during World War I, Germans launch yet another offensive.
- 1917: At the Battle of Arras during World War I, Canadian force assault Vimy Ridge.
- 1940: Germany invades Norway and Denmark during Operation Weserubung.
- 1942:S forces surrender along the Bataan Peninsula.
- 1945: Germany’s cruiser Admiral Scheer is sunk by the RAF during WWII.
- 1945: The U.S Atomic Energy Commission is established.
Famous Birthdays on April 9
- American actress, dancer and singer, Virginia Gibson is born in 1925.
- American photographer Art Kane is born in 1925.
- American publisher and founder of Playboy, Hugh Hefner is born in 1926.
- American author Paule Marshall is born in 1929.
- American actor Dennis Quaid is born in 1954.
- American actress Cynthia Nixon is born in 1966.
- American actor Austin Peck is born in 1971.
- American actress Kristen Stewart is born in 1990.
- American actress Elle Fanning is born in 1998.