Historical Events on August 10
- 955: The Holy Roman Emperor Otto I defeats the Magyars at the Battle of Lechfeld; This ends over 50 years of the Magyar occupation in the West.
- 991: The English are defeated at the Battle of Maldon by inland-raiding Vikings around Maldon, Essex.
- 1270: Yekuno Amlak ascends the Ethiopian Throne.
- 1519: Ferdinand Magellan leaves with 5 ships from the port of Seville to circumnavigate the Earth
- 1680: In New Mexico, the Pueblo Revolt starts.
- 1755: The British Army deports Acadians, under force, from Nova Scotia to the 13 colonies.
- 1776: Word of the U.S Declaration of Independence finally reaches the city of London.
- 1792: Tuileries Palace is stormed and Louis XVI is taken into custody as the Parisian mob slaughters his Swiss Guards.
- 1793: The Musee du Louvre opens in Paris, France.
- 1821: The State of Missouri enters the U.S as the 24th
- 1846: The Smithsonian Institute is created by an act of the U.S Congress when James Smithson donates half a million dollars.
- 1856: Last Island hurricane hits the coast of Louisiana and result in two hundred people being killed.
- 1861: Missouri State Guard, Arkansas State troops and Confederate forces defeat outnumbered Union forces during the American Civil War.
- 1944: During WWII, the Battle of Guam ends on this date.
- 1944: During WWII, the Battle of Narva ends; German and Estonian troops successfully defend Narva, Estonia from the Red Army invasion.
Famous Birthdays on August 10
- Albert II of Germany is born in 1397.
- American Actor Eddie Fisher is born in 1928.
- American author Suzanne Collins is born in 1962.
- English singer Julia Fordham is born in 1962.
- Indian lawyer Phoolan Devi is born in 1963.
- American singer-songwriter Aaron Hall is born in 1964.
- English rugby player Paul Newlove is born in 1971.
- American actor Justin Theroux is born in 1971.
- American model and actress Angie Harmon is born in 1972.
- American author and screenwriter Ted Geoghegan is born in 1979.
- French rugby player Remy Martn is born in 1979.
- English race care driver Oliver Rowland is born in 1992.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in