Historical Events on June 9
- 1815: Luxembourg declares its independence from France.
- 1856: Heading for the Mormon Trail, 500 Mormons leave Iowa City in Iowa.
- 1862: Confederate General Stonewall Jackson wins the Battle of Port Republic. This concludes a very successful Shenandoah Valley Campaign that has been studied by military experts all around the globe.
- 1863: The Battle of Brandy Station during the American Civil War takes place in Virginia.
- 1934: Donald Duck makes his debut appearance in a Walt Disney’s Silly Symphonies cartoon known as “The Wise Little Hen.”
- 1944: In retaliation for the Maquisards attacks, 99 civilians are hung from balconies and lampposts by German forces in Tulle, France during World War 2.
- 1953: Over 90 people are killed in Massachusetts by the Flint Worcester tornado outbreak.
- 1959: The first nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine – the USS George Washington – is launched on this day.
- 1965: The Battle of Dong Xoai resumes between the Army of the Republic of Vietnam and Viet Cong forces.
- 1967: Golan Heights is captured from Syria by Israel during the 6-Day War.
- 1968: After the assassination of Senator Robert F. Kennedy, United States’ President Lyndon B. Johnson declares a “National Day of Morning.”
- 1972: After a severe rain storm, a dam in the Black Hills of South Dakota burst. The resulting flood kills almost 240 people and causes over $160 million USD in damage.
- 1973: Secretariat wins the Belmont Stakes and wins the U.S Triple Crown of horse racing.
- 1979: 7 people are killed during the Ghost Train fire at Lunar Park in Sydney, Australia.
- 1999: NATO and the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia sign a peace treaty during the Kosovo War.
- 2009: Almost 50 people are injured and almost 20 are killed when an explosion erupts at a Peshawar, Pakistan hotel.
- 2010: Over forty people are killed and seventy are wounded during a suicide bombing at a wedding party in Arghandab in Kandahar.
Famous Birthdays on June 9
- American lawyer Luis Kutner author, and activist is born in 1908.
- American basketball player and coach, Branch McCracken is born in 1908.
- American actor, singer, and director, Robert Cummings, is born in 1910.
- Australian public servant and diplomat, Australian High Commissioner to New Zealand, Ted Hicks, is born in 1910.
- Canadian-American actor, producer and author, Michael J. Fox is born in 1961.
- American screenwriter and playwright, Aaron Sorkin is born in 1961.
- American actor Johnny Depp is born in 1963.
- American director and screenwriter, David Koepp is born in 1963.
- Canadian-American actress, singer and producer, Gloria Reuben is born in 1964.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in