Historical Events on November 13
- 1775: General Richard Montgomery and Patriot revolutionary forced occupy the city of Montreal during the American Revolutionary War.
- 1918: The capital of the Ottoman Empire – Constantinople – is occupied by Allied forces.
- 1927: The Holland Tunnel opens on this day and links New Jersey to New York City.
- 1940: Walt Disney’s animated musical, Fantasia, is released for the first time.
- 1941: Royal Navy carrier, the HMS Ark Royal, is torpedoed by German submarine U-81 on this day during World War II.
- 1942: The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal continues to rage on as United States naval forces and Imperial Japanese naval forces duke it out in a close-quarters naval engagement.
- 1947: The development of the AK-47 is finished by the Soviet Union.
- 1969: On this day during the Vietnam War, Anti-war protesters stage the “March Against Death” in Washington, D.C.
- 1995: Outside of a Saudi Arabian National Guard training center in Riyadh that was operated by the United States, a truck bomb goes off. The Islamic Movement for Change claimed responsibility for the bombing which killed five Americans and two Indians.
- 2001: United States President George W. Bush signs an executive order which allows military tribunals to be organized in trying foreigners suspected of being connected to terrorist acts or planning such terrorist acts in the U.S.
- 2015: WT1190F crashes just to the southeast of Sri Lanka. This temporary Earth satellite is believed to have been a gas tank that had been orbiting the planet since 2009.
Famous Birthdays on November 13
- American lawyer and politician John Dickinson is born in 1732.
- Sikh emperor Ranjit Singh is born in 1780.
- American general Joseph Hooker is born in 1814.
- Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson is born in 1850.
- American actor John Drew, Jr. is born in 1853.
- American comedian, actress and TV show host, Whoopi Goldberg is born in 1955.
- American actor Neil Flynn is born in 1960.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in