|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|St Vitus Day||Serbia||Observance|
|Constitution Day||Ukraine||National Holiday|
|Tau Day||-||Unofficial (Education & Reading)|
|Vietnamese Family Day||Vietnam||Observance|
|Christopher Street Day||-||Unofficial (Awareness & Cause)|
|National Paul Bunyan Day||-||Unofficial (Culture & History)|
Historical Events on June 28
- 1776: The Battle of Sullivan’s Island concludes during the American Revolutionary War. This American victory would lead to the commemoration of Carolina Day.
- 1776: Bodyguard to General George Washington, Thomas Hickey, is hung for sedition and mutiny on this date.
- 1778: British and American forces clash during the Battle of Monmouth Courthouse.
- 1838: In the U.K., Queen Victoria is coronated.
- 1846: Adolphe Sax receives a patent for his invention: the saxophone.
- 1894: Labor Day officially becomes a United States’ holiday on this day.
- 1896: A cave-in caused by an explosion in a Twin Shaft Coal Mine in Pittston, Pennsylvania leaves almost 60 miners dead.
- 1921: The Vidovdan Constitution is proclaimed by King Alexander I of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes.
- 1922: Four Courts in Dublin is shelled at the beginning of the Irish Civil War.
- 1926: Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz merge their 2 companies and create Mercedes-Benz on this day.
- 1942: Case Blue is undertaken against the Soviet Union by Germany during World War 2.
- 1950: North Korean forces capture the city of Seoul during the Korean War.
- 1950: Approximately 150,000 suspected communist sympathizers are executed during the Bodo league Massacre of the Korean War.
- 1950: The Seoul National University Hospital Massacre is conducted by the North Korean Army during the Korean War.
Famous Birthdays on June 28
- Italian dramatist, poet and Nobel Prize laureate, Luigi Pirandello is born in 1867.
- French surgeon, biologist and Nobel Prize laureate, Alexis Carrel is born in 1873.
- Polish American physicist and Nobel Prize laureate, Maria Goeppert-Mayer is born in 1906.
- American cartoonist George Booth is born in 1926.
- American actor, director, screenwriter and producer, Mel Brooks is born in 1926.
- American actor Pat Morita is born in 1932.
- American actress Kathy Bates is born in 1948.
- South African-American businessman, Elon Musk is born in 1971.
- American actor Allessandro Nivola is born in 1972.