|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|Makar Sankranti||India||Restricted Holiday|
|Old New Year||Russia||Observance|
|Orthodox New Year||Multiple [Show]||Orthodox|
|Defenders of the Motherland Day||Uzbekistan||Public Holiday|
|Organize Your Home Day||-||Unofficial (Hobby & Creativity, Activity & Action)|
|Revolution and Youth Day||Tunisia||Public Holiday|
|National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|National Dress Up Your Pet Day||-||Unofficial (Animals)|
|National Vision Board Day||-||Unofficial (Work & Occupation, Education & Reading)|
|Birthday of Yang di-Pertuan Besar||Malaysia (Negeri Sembilan)||Common Local Holiday|
|National Children's Day||Thailand||Observance|
|Cesarean Section Day||-||Unofficial (Health & Body)|
|International Kite Day||-||Unofficial (Activity & Action, Fun & Joy)|
Historical Events on January 14
- 1858: Napoleon III – heir and nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte – just barely escapes being killed by an assassin.
- 1907: More than a thousand people are killed when an earthquake strikes Kingston, Jamaica on this day.
- 1911: Roald Amundsen and his South Pole Expedition finally reach the Ross Ice Shelf.
- 1938: Queen Maud Land in Antarctica is claimed by the country Norway.
- 1943: During World War II, Operation Ke gets underway as the Japanese try to evacuate all of their force from Guadalcanal.
- 1943: The Casablanca Conference is begun so that Winston Churchil and Franklin D. Roosevelt can discuss the next stages of the war.
- 1943:S President Franklin D. Roosevelt goes down in history on this day as the first sitting U.S President to travel by airplane as he travels to Morocco to meet with British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.
- 1952: NBC debuts its morning new program “Today” on this day.
- 1954: The American Motors Corporation (AMC) is formed when the Nash-Kelvinator and the Hudson Motor Car Company merge.
- 1973: The most watched broadcast by an individual performer in TV history is broadcast on this day. It’s the Aloha from Hawaii concert by Elvis Presley.
Famous Birthdays on January 14
- American-British general and American traitor, Benedict Arnold is born in 1741.
- American judge and politician, Henry Baldwin is born in 1780.
- French painter Berthe Morisot is born in 1841.
- English-American actress Brenda Forbes is born in 1909.
- American journalist and TV personality, Andy Rooney is born in 1919.
- American actress Kathleen Chalfant is born in 1945.
- American historian Taylor Branch is born in 1947.
- American author and screenwriter, Arthur Byron Cover is born in 1950.
- American businesswoman Sydney Biddle Barrows is born in 1952.
- American journalist and author, Maureen Dowd is born in 1952.
- American director and screenwriter, Steven Soderbergh is born in 1963.
- American TV journalist Shepard Smith is born in 1964.
- English actress Emily Watson is born in 1967.
- American rapper and actor, LL Cool J is born in 1968.
- American actor, director and producer Jason Bateman is born in 1969.