Historical Events on March 2
- 1776: During the American Revolutionary War, the Royal Governor of Georgia James Wright is arrested by patriot militia forces. Militia forces also attempt to prevent supply ships from being seized during the Battle of the Rice Boats.
- 1791: The semaphore machine is unveiled in Paris, France.
- 1797: The first 2-pound and 1-pound bank notes are issued by the Bank Of England on this day.
- 1807: Importing new slaves into the United States becomes illegal when the United States Congress passes the Act Prohibiting the Importation of Slaves.
- 1825: Puerto Rican pirate Roberto Cofresí y Ramírez de Arellano – also known as El Pirata Cofresi – is captured by authorities once he had been defeated in combat.
- 1836: The Republic of Texas declares independence from Mexico.
- 1859: The Great Slave Auction – an auction that ran from March 2nd to the 3rd of March – begins on this day. It’s the largest slave auction in U.S history.
- 1867: The Reconstruction Act is passed by the United States Congress.
- 1877: The United States Congress declares Rutherford B. Hayes the winner of the U.S Presidential Election, although Samuel J. Tilden won the popular vote on November 7th.
- 1941: After Bulgaria joins the Axis Pact, the 1st German military units enter the country during World War II.
- 1943: At the Battle of the Bismark Sea during WWII, Japanese convoy ships are attacked and sunk by U.S and Australian forces.
- 1946: Ho Chi Minh becomes the President of North Vietnam.
- 1961:S President John F. Kennedy announces to the American public through a national television broadcast that the Peace Corps has been created.
- 1965:S and South Vietnamese Air forces start Operation Rolling Thunder against North Vietnam.
Famous Birthdays on March 2
- English actor Daniel Craig is born in 1968.
- American rapper Method Man is born in 1971.
- Australian actress and screenwriter, Rebel Wilson is born in 1980.
- American actress Bryce Dallas Howard is born in 1981.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in