Historical Events on September 11
- 1709: During the Battle of Malplaquet: Great Britain, Austria and the Netherlands band together in their fight against France.
- 1714: French Bourbon and Spanish armies siege the city of Barcelona, Catalonia and forces it to surrender during the War of the Spanish Succession.
- 1758: At the Battle of Saint Cast during the Seven Years War, France manages to repels Britain’s invasion.
- 1777: British forces defeat American forces at the Battle of Brandywine in Chester County, Pennsylvania during the American Revolutionary War.
- 1789: Alexander Hamilton is appoint as the 1stS Secretary of the Treasury.
- 1792: Along with other valuable and rare French Crown Jewels, the Hope Diamond is stolen by six men.
- 1802: The Kingdom of Piedmont is annexed by the country of France.
- 1919: Honduras is invaded by the U.S Marine Corps.
- 1941: Charles Lindbergh gives a now infamous speech at the Des Moines Coliseum entitled: “Who are the War Agitators?” In that speech, he accusses the British, the FDR Administration and the Jews for pressing for war in Germany.
- 1943: The Nazis’ begin the liquidation of the Lida and Minsk ghettos.
- 1944: The Royal Air Force conducts a bombing raid on Darmstadt.
- 1976: A Croatian terrorist Zvonko Bušić planted a bomb at New York’s Grand Central Terminal. It’s discovered by the NYPD and an officer is killed while trying to defuse the bomb.
- 1985: Ty Cobb’s baseball record for most career hits is broken by Pete Rose when he makes his 4,192nd
- 2001: Two hijacked passenger planes crash into the World Trade Center in New York City and a third passenger plane crashes into the Pentagon in Arlington County, Virginia. A fourth plane crashes into a field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. The results of this coordinated attack by suicide terrorists from al-Qaeda resulted in the deaths of almost 3,000 people.
- 2007: Russia begins testing on the “Father of all Bombs.” The largest conventional weapon of all time.
Famous Birthdays on September 11
- English novelist, playwright, critic and poet D.H. Lawrence is born in 1885.
- American composer and conductor Herbert Stothart is born in 1885.
- American actress, dancer and singer Lola Falana is born in 1942.
- English author and illustrator Anthony Browne is born in 1946.
- American actress Amy Madigan is born in 1950.
- American guitarist and singer-songwriter Tommy Shaw is born in 1953.
- American director and screenwriter Tony Gilroy is born in 1956.
- American singer-songwriter, actor and pianist Harry Connick Jr. is born in 1967.
- American director and screenwriter Paul Mayeda Berges is born in 1968.
- American actress Taraji P. Henson is born in 1970.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in