Historical Events on February 11
- 1794: The 1st session of the U.S Senate opens to the public.
- 1861: The U.S House of Representatives passes a unanimous resolution guaranteeing that slavery will not be interfered with in any state.
- 1937: General Motors recognizes the United Auto Workers and as a result, the sit down strike that was called ends.
- 1942: In Singapore during World War II, the Battle of Bukit Timah starts.
- 1943: General Dwight D. Eisenhower is appointed to command the Allied forces in Europe.
- 1953: Clemency for Julius Rosenburg and his wife Ethel is refused by United States President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
- 1953: The Soviets end diplomatic relations with Israel.
- 1973: American POWs are released from Vietnam for the first time.
- 1997: The Space Shuttle Discovery launches to service the Hubble Space Telescope on this day.
- 1999: Pluto crosses Neptune’s orbit – ending the period from 1979 to 1999 when Pluto was closer to the sun than Neptune. It’s be another 228 years before Pluto interacts with the orbit of Neptune again.
- 2006: United State Vice President Dick Cheney shoots Harry Whittington while both of them were hunting in Riviera, Texas.
Famous Birthdays on February 11
- English photographer Henry Fox Talbot is born in 1800.
- American journalist and author, Lydia Maria Child is born in 1802.
- American explorer Jean Baptiste Charbonneau was born in 1805.
- American painter and author, Ellen Day Hale is born in 1855.
- American author Daniel F. Galouye is born in 1920
- American actor Billy Halop is born in 1920.
- American actress Kim Stanley is born in 1925.
- American actor and director, Burt Reynolds is born in 1936.
- English author and journalist, Mitchell Symons is born in 1957.
- American model and actress, Carey Lowell is born in 1961.
- American actress Jennifer Aniston is born in 1969.
- English actor Damian Lewis is born in 1971.
- English actress Natalie Dormer is born in 1982.