Historical Events on November 11
- 1620: In the area now known as Provincetown Harbor, the Mayflower Compact is signed.
- 1675: Integral calculus is demonstrated for the first time by Gottfried Leibniz.
- 1778: During the American Revolutionary War, Seneca Indians and Loyalist to the Crown join forces and attack a fort and village in New York. It’s called the Cherry Valley Massacre.
- 1813: During the War of 1812 at the Battle of Crysler’s Farm, American forces are defeated by British and Canadian forces.
- 1831: For his part in a violent slave uprising in Southampton, Virgina in August, Nat Turner is hanged in Jerusalem, Virginia.
- 1864: During the American Civil War, General William Tecumseh Sherman sets fire to Atlanta.
- 1918: In a railroad car in Compiegne Forest, Germany signs an armistice agreement with the Allies at the end of World War I.
- 1921: United States President Warren G. Harding dedicate The Tomb of the Unknowns – also known as The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier – in Arlington National Cemetery.
- 1923: For his role in the Beer Hall Putsch, Adolf Hitler is arrested for the crime of high treason.
- 1926: Thanks to the work done by the Joint Board on Interstate Highways, the U.S Numbered Highway System is established.
- 1930: Albert Einstein and Leo Szilard receive a patent for the Einstein Refrigerator – a refrigerator that doesn’t have moving parts and only requires a heat source to operate.
- 1966: Gemini 12 is launched by NASA.
Famous Birthdays on November 11
- Russian novelist, essayist and short story writer, Fyodor Dostoyevsky is born in 1821.
- Serbian author Stevan Sremac is born in 1855.
- American general George S. Patton is born in 1885.
- English-American actor Roland Young is born in 1887.
- American novelist, essayist and short story writer, Kurt Vonnegut is born in 1922.
- English actress June Whitfield is born in 1925.
- American actor and producer Leonardo DiCaprio is born in 1974.
- Canadian bass player Jesse F. Keeler is born in 1976.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in