|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|Video Games Day|| -|| Weird|
|Family Day|| Ukraine|| Observance|
Historical Events on July 8
- 1099: Approximately fifteen thousand Christian soldiers – many of whom are on the brinks of starvation – begin the siege of Jeursalem.
- 1283: An Aragonese fleet commanded by Roger of Lauria defeats an Angevin fleet that was sent to put down a Malta rebellion.
- 1497: Vasco da Gama sets sail on this date to India.
- 1716: Sweden is forced to abandon its invasion of Norway after the Battle of Dynekilen.
- 1730: An 8.7 magnitude earthquake causes a massive tsunami that destroys more than 600 miles of the coastline of Chile.
- 1876: 5 Black Republicans in Hamburg, South Carolina are murdered by White supremacists.
- 1879: The USS Jeannette leaves San Francisco on an expedition to the North Pole.
- 1889: The Wall Street Journal is published for the first time.
- 1892: John’s in Newfoundland is heavily damaged by the Great Fire of 1892.
- 1947: News reports seem to indicate a UFO crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. This incident would become known as the Roswell UFO Incident.
- 1948: The first female recruits are accepted in the Women in the Air Force (WAF) division of the U.S. Air Force.
- 1960: After flying over the Soviet Union, Francis Gary Powers is charged with espionage.
- 1980: Queensland defeats New South Wales at the 1980 State of Origin game at Lang Park.
- 1982: In Dujail, an assassination attempt is made on Iraqi president Saddam Hussein.
- 1988: The Island Express derails on the Peruman Bridge and ends up falling into Ashtamudi Lake. Over 100 people are killed and another 200 are wounded.
- 1994: After the death of his father, Kim Jong-il takes over control of North Korea as supreme commander.
- 2011: The final Space Shuttle mission is launched on this date.
Famous Birthdays on July 8
- American chemist and pharmacist, John Pemberton is born in 1831.
- German General and businessman, Ferdinand von Zeppelin is born in 1838.
- American painter Stanton Macdonald-Wright is born in 1890.
- English author and screenwriter, Jenny Diski is born in 1947.
- American author and activist, Marianne Williamson is born in 1952.
- American actor Kevin Bacon is born in 1958.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in