Historical Events on June 5
- 1837: The Republic of Texas incorporates the city of Houston.
- 1849: With the singing of a new Constitution, Denmark becomes a Constitutional Monarchy.
- 1851: Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe begins its run in the National Era abolitionist newspaper. This anti-slavery serial will end up running for 10-months.
- 1864: The Confederate Army at Piedmont in Virginia is defeated by General David Hunter and his Union forces. Almost a thousand Confederate soldiers become POWs.
- 1883: The Orient Express leaves Paris, France for its first scheduled run.
- 1915: The Constitution of Denmark is amended to allow women to vote.
- 1940: German forces once again resume Operation Fall Rot during World War 2.
- 1941: During the bombing of Chongqing, 4,000 residents smother in a bomb shelter during World War 2.
- 1942: The U.S declares warm on Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria during WWII.
- 1944: Over a thousand British bombers drop over five thousand tons of bombs on German gun batteries in Normandy in advance of D-Day.
- 1956: Singer Elvis Presley introduces his new single Hound Dog on the Milton Berle Show and ends up scandalizing the audience with his very sexually suggestive hip movements.
- 1976: The Teton Dam – located in Idaho – collapses on this day.
- 1981: A rare form of pneumonia is spotted in 5 people in the Los Angeles Area and reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. These cases would be the first officially recognized cases of AIDS.
- 1998: At the GM Plant in Flint, Michigan, a strike begins. This strike would then spread to 5 other plants. Overall, the strikes would last almost two months.
Famous Birthdays on June 5
- American sheriff Pat Garrett is born in 1850.
- English author Ivy Compton-Burnett is born in 1884.
- Hungarian-English engineer, physicist and Nobel Prize laureate, Dennis Gabor is born in 1900.
- American rapper, actor and producer, Mark Wahlberg is born in 1971.
- American actress Liza Weil is born in 1977.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in