Historical Events on June 25
- 1906: Harry Kendall Thaw shoots architect Stanford White in the city of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania.
- 1910: The Mann Act is passed by the U.S Congress. This act prohibited the interstate transport of females for immoral purposes.
- 1913: Civil War veterans from all over the United States begins arriving for the Great Reunion of 1913.
- 1935: Diplomatic relations are established between Colombia and Russia.
- 1938: Doctor Douglas Hyde becomes the first President of Ireland.
- 1940: France officially surrenders to Germany during World War 2.
- 1943: The Częstochowa Ghetto Uprising begins on this day when Jews rise up against their Nazi captors.
- 1944: The Battle of Tali-Ihantala begins during World War 2.
- 1944: To support U.S Army troops engaged at the Battle of Cherbourg, the U.S Navy and the British Royal Navy begin a bombardment on Cherbourg.
- 1944: The last page of Krazy Kat comic strip by George Harriman is published. It was just 2 months before Harriman died.
- 1947: The Diary of Anne Frank – originally published as the Diary of a Young Girl – is published on this date.
- 1950: North Korea invades South Korea and kicks off the Korean War.
- 1960: 2 U.S National Security Agency cryptographers went on vacation in Mexico only to defect from that country to the U.S.S.R.
- 1976: The Mo. Extermination Order – otherwise known as Missouri Executive Order 44 – is rescinded by Mo. Governor Kit Bond.
- 1978: The Gay Pride Rainbow Flag is flown for the first time in San Francisco during a Gay Freedom Day Parade.
- 1981: Microsoft is restructured and incorporated as a business in Washington state.
- 1984: The immensely successful Purple Rain album is released by American singer-songwriter Prince on this date.
- German chemist and Nobel Prize laureate, Walther Nernst is born in 1864.
- British novelists and critic, George Orwell is born in 1903.
- American actress Anne Revere is born in 1903.
- German physicist and Nobel Prize laureate, J. Hans D. Jensen is born in 1907.
- American chemist, biologist and Nobel Prize laureate, William Howard Stein is born in 1911.
- English comedian, actor and singer, Ricky Gervais is born in 1961.
- Canadian NHL player and manager, Doug Gilmour is born in 1963.
- English singer-songwriter George Michael is born in 1963.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in