Historical Events on November 3
- 1793: French journalist and playwright Olympe de Gouges is guillotined.
- 1812: At the Battle of Vyazma, the forces of Napoleon Bonaparte are defeated.
- 1817: The oldest charter bank in Canada, the Bank of Montreal opens in the city of Montreal.
- 1868: John Willis Menard would’ve been the first African-American to serve in the United State College but an electoral challenge would prevent him from ever being seated.
- 1883: Black Bart the Poet (Charles Earl Boles) – as he described himself – robs his last stagecoach; It’s a robbery which leads to his inevitable capture.
- 1903: Panama separates from Colombia.
- 1911: Chevrolet is founded on the day.
- 1918: Poland becomes independent from Russia.
- 1942: During WWII, the Koli Point Action starts.
- 1943: 500 aircraft of the United States 8th Air Force is dispatched against Wilhelmshaven harbor in Germany.
- 1944: General Ján Golian and General Rudolf Viest of the Slovak National Uprising are captured and tortured by German forces. They would eventually be executed.
- 1946: With the assent of the Emperor, Japan’s Constitution is adopted.
- 1957: The first animal to enter into Earth’s orbit is a dog named Laika which was launched aboard the Soviet Sputnik 2.
- 1964: United States President Lyndon B. Johnson is elected to a full-term. He won forty-four states and approximately sixty-one percent of the vote.
- 1967: The Battle of Dak starts during the Vietnam War.
- 1973: Mariner 10 is launched by NASA. It’s target is Mercury and it becomes the first space probe to reach that planet on March 29th, 1974.
- 1979: The Greensboro Massacre occurs when Klansmen and Neo-Nazis shoot five members of the Communist Workers Party and wound seven others in North Carolina during an “anti-klan rally.”
Famous Birthdays on November 3
- American businessman, politician and founder of Texas, Stephen F. Austin is born in 1793.
- American journalist and poet William Cullen Bryant is born in 1794.
- American actor Charles Bronson is born in 1921.
- American actor Marc Breaux is born in 1924.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in