|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|Freedom Day||Equatorial Guinea||National Holiday|
|Martyrs' Day||Guinea-Bissau||Public Holiday|
|Makira-Ulawa Province Day||Solomon Islands||Local Holiday|
|Nigerien Independence Day||Niger||Public Holiday|
|Kadooment Day||Barbados||Public Holiday|
|Festival Monday||British Virgin Islands||Public Holiday|
|Emancipation Day||Multiple [Show]||Public Holiday|
|Raksha Bandhan||Multiple [Show]||Hindu Holiday|
|National Children's Day||Tuvalu||Public Holiday|
|Eid-al-Adha holiday||Multiple [Show]||National Holiday|
|Eid-al-Adha Holiday||Multiple [Show]||National Holiday|
|New South Wales Bank Holiday||Australia (New South Wales)||State Holiday|
|Northern Territory Picnic Day||Australia (Northern Territory)||State Holiday|
|Feast of the Sacrifice Day 4||Egypt||National Holiday|
|Eid al-Adha||Multiple [Show]||Public Holiday|
|Terry Fox Day||Canada (Manitoba)||Common Local Holidays|
|New Brunswick Day||Canada (New Brunswick)||Common Local Holidays|
|British Columbia Day||Canada (British Columbia)||Common Local Holidays|
|Natal Day||Canada (Nova Scotia)||Common Local Holidays|
|Youth Day||Kiribati||Public Holiday|
|August Bank Holiday||Ireland||National Holiday|
|Farmers Day||Zambia||Public Holiday|
|Summer Bank Holiday||United Kingdom (Scotland)||Common Local Holidays|
|National Watermelon Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|National Grab Some Nuts Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks, Health & Body)|
|Heritage Day||Canada (Alberta)||Common Local Holiday|
|Ontario Civic Holiday||Canada (Ontario)||Local Observance|
|Saskatchewan Day||Canada (Saskatchewan)||Common Local Holiday|
|Feast of the Sacrifice (day 3)||Azerbaijan||Public Holiday|
|Eid al-Adha Day 4||Multiple [Show]||Multiple Types|
|Raksha Bandhan (Rakhi)||India||Restricted Holiday|
|Eid al-Adha holiday||Multiple [Show]||National Holiday|
|Janai Purnima||Nepal||Public Holiday|
|Nikini Full Moon Poya Day||Sri Lanka||Public Holiday|
|Sacrifice Feast Day 4||Turkey||National Holiday|
|Summer Bank Holiday (only Alderney)||Guernsey||Common Local Holiday|
|Commerce Day||Iceland||National Holiday|
Historical Events on August 3
- 1492: Christopher Columbus and his three ships – the Santa Maria, the Pinta and the Niña – set sail for the Indies from Palos de la Frontera, Spain.
- 1596: David Fabricius, a German Pastor, discovers the first known periodic variable star known as Mira.
- 1914: Belgium is invaded by Germany as it declares war on France during World War I.
- 1918: 700 Germans are killed by Russian Revolutionaries when an explosive devices is detonated in Kiev, Ukraine.
- 1923: S Vice President Calvin Coolidge in sworn in as U.S President on this day due to the fact the President Warren Harding collapsed and died on August 2nd.
- 1934: The offices of the German Chancellor and the German President are merged by Adolf Hitler. He then declares himself Fuhrer of Germany.
- 1940: British air forces strategically attack German forces – targeting airplane hangers, harbors and supply lines in over 100 cities in Germany.
- 1958: On this day, the United States Nuclear Submarine Nautilus becomes the first underwater vessel to reach the Geographic North Pole.
- 1972: The Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty between the United States and the Soviet Union is ratified by the United States Senate.
- 1977: From 1950 to 1977, the United States has spent over $25 million dollars trying to perfect mind control. Many of the subjects were severely mentally damaged.
- 1978: The 11th Commonwealth Games in Edmonton, Canada are opened by the Queen on this day.
- 2012: Wojdan Shahrkhani becomes the first Saudi woman to compete at the Olympic games. She took part in the Judo competition and was defeated by Melissa Mojica of Puerto Rico.
Famous Birthdays on August 3
- French scholar Étienne Dolet is born in 1509.
- English clergyman John Henley is born in 1692
- S Politician Hamilton Fish is born in 1808.
- Flemish architect HM Jozef Schadde is born in 1818.
- German feminist and teacher Auguste Schmidt is born in 1833.
- French composer Fernand de La Tombelle is born in 1854.
- Scottish inventor K. Dickson is born in 1860.