Historical Events on September 1
- 1804: One of the biggest asteroids ever discovered in the Main Belt of our solar system – Juno – was discovered by Karl Ludwig Harding on this day.
- 1862: At the Battle of Chantilly during the American Civil War, a group of retreating Union forces in Chantilly, Virginia are defeated by an advancing group of Confederate forces.
- 1864: During the American Civil War, the evacuation of Atlanta is ordered bh Confederate Army General John Bell Flood. This ended the 4 month siege of the city by Union General William Sherman.
- 1905: Saskatchewan and Alberta join the Canadian Confederation on this day.
- 1914: The name of St. Petersburg, Russia is changed to Petrograd.
- 1923: Killing over a hundred thousand people, the Great Kanto Earthquake causes major damage to Yokohama and Tokyo.
- 1928: Ahmet Zogu proclaims that Albania is now a monarchy and he is now a king.
- 1934: The Discontented Canary, the first Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer animated cartoon, opens up at movie theaters.
- 1939: During World War II, Forces from Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland.
- 1939: The Nazi’s Iron Cross design is formalized on this date, as is the Wound Badge used for all SS, Luftwaffe, Wehrmact and Kriegsmarine soldiers who were wounded during combat.
- 1939: An order for the systematic euthanasia of all disabled and mentally ill people in Germany is signed by Adolf Hitler.
- 1951: Australia, the U.S., and New Zealand sign the ANZUS Treaty – a pact that provides for the mutual defense of all members.
- 1952: The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway is first published on this day. This novel would go on to win the Pulitzer Prize.
Famous Birthdays on September 1
- Cuban-American singer-songwriter Gloria Estefan is born in 1957.
- American Golfer Keith Clearwater is born in 1959.
- American singer-songwriter Charlie Robison is born in 1964.
- American illustrator and author Holly Golightly is born in 1964.